John Bruce Slater
M, #2640, b. 1 September 1916, d. 22 March 1941
John Bruce Slater was born on 1 September 1916 at 4 West End, Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland.1,2 He was the son of John Alexander Slater and Margaret Wood. His family was known by the tee-name of "Hasser". John Bruce Slater was a fisherman. John died on 22 March 1941 at sea, outside Portknockie Harbour, Banffshire, Scotland, at age 24. He perished with the Portknockie seine-net motor fishing boat 'Sickle' BF 353 that was struck broadside by a large wave and capsized close to the outer harbour mouth at Portknockie. Three of the four crew drowned. They were John Alexander Slater (skipper), his son John Bruce Slater and his brother William Slater (engineer). The sole survivor was deckhand and part-owner Alexander Mair.3,4,5 He was buried after 22 March 1941 at Hillhead Cemetery, Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland.4
- Chart (box): Descendants of James Mair "Bobbin" (b. 1755)
Chart (indented): Descendants of James Mair "Bobbin" (b. 1755)
Chart (box): Descendants of William Wood "King" (b. c1695)
Chart (indented): Descendants of William Wood "King" (b. c1695)
Chart (box): Descendants of William Wood "Wilkin" (b. c1800)
Chart (indented): Descendants of William Wood "Wilkin" (b. c1800)
- [S7660] John Bruce Slater, ScotlandsPeople search, Statutory Register of Births, Registration District of Seafield, Surname: Slater. Forename: John Bruce. Gender: Male. Year: 1916. Ref: 167/ 35. Registration District Name: Seafield.
- [S772] Robert Mair, Neil Pirie, Information kindly supplied by Robert Mair of Durham, England.
- [S2019] John Bruce Slater, Statutory Register of Deaths in the District of Seafield in the County of Banff, "See Reg. of Cor. Ents., Vol. 2, page 37, April 23rd 1941. John Bruce Slater, Fisherman (Single), died 1941, March Twenty-second, About 4h 45m P.M., Near Harbour entrance, Portknockie, Usual Residence:- 8 Station Road, Portknockie, Male, 24 years. Father: John Alex Slater, Fisherman (Deceased), Mother: Maggie Slater M.S. Wood. Cause of death: (blank) Informant: James Mair, Friend, 12 Station Road, Portknockie. Registered: 1941, March 26th at Portknockie, William Falconer, Registrar."
- [S1962] John Bruce Slater, Gravestone inscription data, "NM174953, John Bruce Slater, c. 1917 to 22 MAR 1941. Occupation : Fisherman. Date of Birth : c. 1917. Headstone Ref : H188. Date of Death : 22 MAR 1941. Place of Death : At sea."
- [S1332] Mary Laing, Neil Pirie, Information kindly supplied by Mary Laing of Dinnet, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.